If you would like either of us to review a book, please send us an email by filling out the form to the right. Please include the title, author and a short synopsis. We are able to review books that are in mobi format or are physical books.




Saturday, August 20, 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, Jack Thorne



Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.








~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm so conflicted. I love all things HP so I had such high hopes. I ignored all the hype and went in expecting nothing. But, I really, really wanted to love this book. I've missed my friends and wanted to be with them again. Sigh...

I have no problems with reading play format so that wasn't the problem. It just wasn't the characters we used to know and still love. I know, I know, they're grown now. But again, that wasn't even the problem. I honestly couldn't tell you exactly what wasn't right for me. I didn't hate it. I didn't love it. BUT....I did love Draco and I adored Scorpius. Scorpius was by far my favorite character. He felt the most real to me. Harry's child Albus just irritated me -very whiny most of the time. I loved seeing some of the characters we've lost even if it were only through flashbacks or paintings. So there were some really good parts. I guess the good and bad parts kind of balanced each other out to equal the 3 stars.

I would totally go see this play if it ever comes to Atlanta. I've heard it's quite good as the actual play. But, I will say, don't go into this expecting it to be JK Rowling's world. Accept it as what it reads like - fan fiction. Give Draco a chance to be who he has become, ignore most of Ron's role, and embrace Scorpius as the great kid he tries to be.
 

3/5 stars~Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment